This tour is a wilderness adventure on horseback that will take you into some of the most spectacular backcountry of the Yukon. Experienced Sky High Wilderness Ranch staff will guide you through the pristine wilderness in the coastal mountains of Southern Yukon. Ride across majestic mountain ridges, across creeks and through peaceful valleys.
* This week is packed with rugged wilderness adventure on horseback. Our trails are not groomed – they are wilderness trails that our Yukon wildlife use, so expect rocky patches, narrow willow-lined trails, tree branches, wet areas, etc.
* We do recommend that you arrive the day before your tour. Whether you arrive the day of your tour or days before, don't worry we'll take care of you. Pre and Post nights can be booked for you upon request.
1. Bonneville Lakes – the trail leads into the trees and climbs above treeline to witness epic views from every angle
2. Jackson Lake – a peaceful oasis from the outside world
3. Coal Lake Trapper Cabin – a historic trapper's cabin on a working trap line
4. Mt McIntyre Ridge – the trails wind through trees and above treeline to spectacular views of Whitehorse on one side and Fish Lake Valley on the other
Day one you will be picked up at 10 AM by our van from Whitehorse hotel. Here you have the chance to do some shopping for items that you may need for your trip. Once we arrive at the ranch, you will have a brief tour as you get a feel of the rich history of Sky High Wilderness Ranch and Fish Lake. Settle into your room in the main lodge. Enjoy a light lunch with your guide and discuss the coming adventure.
Meet your horse and participate in a horseback intro. Your guide will give a brief safety lesson and then instruct you on the proper care of horses as well as the correct procedure to halter and saddle your horse. Saddle up and head out on your very first short ride. Breathe deeply the fresh mountain air as you stroll through the Fish Lake Valley taking in all the scents and sounds of a summer day. (L, D)
Day 2 & 3:
Each day, after bringing the horses to the main yard and feeding them breakfast, enjoy a “human” breakfast in the main lodge. Next you will pack a lunch, prepare your horse and head out into some of the most spectacular landscapes the Yukon has to offer. Don't forget to pack your camera as this area is a photographer’s paradise!
Take in the beauty as you ride through peaceful valleys, on majestic mountain ridges, through meadows and across creeks. Wildlife is abundant in the area and you have a chance to see fox, rabbits, squirrels, lynx, coyote, moose, bear and caribou. Head back to the main lodge for dinner and some relaxation. Overnight in lodge. (B, L, D)
Spend some peaceful moments in the company of your horse while you tend to their breakfast and head to the lodge for your breakfast. Today we ride next to beautiful Fish Lake and over Fish Creek towards Bonneville Ridge. Head up the trail into the trees and climb above treeline to witness epic views from every angle. Wind across the ridge and down the trail to find a perfect spot for lunch on the shores of Bonneville Lakes. Take this opportunity to take photos and relax before mounting your horse to explore the rolling ridges. End your day back at the ranch where you will give one last hug to your new four-legged friend, pack your bag and head back to your Whitehorse hotel. (B,L)
Upredictable circumstances such as weather conditions, extreme temperatures or illness of the horses/guests may force us to change this itinerary. The safety and well-being of our guests and animals takes precedence and our decisions are final.
We strongly suggest that all of our guests consider the purchase of travel insurance for protection against cancellation penalties and many other unforeseeable circumstances such as emergency medical evacuation.